Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Megsons Comments

It was being reported after last nights game that Megson had been critical of the fans for reacting the way they did (particularly in that bastion of honest journalism the Nottingham Evening Post). Gary has responded to this by posting his own comments on the official website, refuting the claims that he had a go at the fans. I say fair play to him. The man has gone up in my estimation after these comments and I only hope that he can be the one to turn our bunch of overpaid layabouts into something resembling a football team. Furthermore shame on the Evening Post, a paper that is for the people of Nottingham should not need to resort to such tactics in order to make more money at the news stand. To be fair to the Post it's not just them that seem to go in for this lazy journalism, where inventing stories is much more preferable to actually going out doing what journalists are supposed to do, the amount of times I've read one of the big national papers to find a story about Forest which is so blatantly full of lies and obviously written from some pub in London is untrue. Hey ho who needs to get out to investigate a story when you've got the internet to do it for you. Right I'll stop ranting now!
Megsons comments follow:

"After reading today's Evening Post Opinion article, I would like to take this opportunity to qualify one or two things

"I would never have a go at the Club's supporters who, I agree, are long suffering and incredibly loyal.

"Their support is highly regarded by everybody at Nottingham Forest but most of all by myself as I've said repeatedly since I took the job in January.

"The comments that I made last night are from my own hurt, anger and frustration at losing games and being in this predicament.

"I didn't think the crowd's reaction was "over the top" and what's more I certainly didn't say that. It was fully expected and my reaction at half-time and afterwards was every bit as angry and despairing as the supporters.

"My anger is that if a team can play with the work-rate, effort and enthusiasm that it did in the second half, it should be doing that all the time.

"I take full responsibility for everything that goes on at Nottingham Forest. I do accept criticism and at the moment expect criticism.

"What I don't expect is our local newspaper trying to drive a wedge between us - myself and my players - and the most important people at the football club, our supporters.

"For the paper to try and curry favour to sell a few more copies is pathetic but not at all unexpected."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home