Tuesday, September 06, 2005

'We've' Lost That Loving Feeling

Given the current sad state of affairs I decided to re-read the excllent 'Forest Ever Forest' By Chris Broughton, it basically is a season by season recollection of this mans time watching the Trickies (and god did he get to see some good times). Anyway it got me to thinking about my years watching the glorious reds and my memories (good and bad) over the years. Also reminding me of why I have an irrational hatred of certain clubs and players (John Aldridge step forward I'd like to introduce you to a Mr. Brian Laws who has something he should have given you all those years ago when you patted him on the head) and other clubs I have a soft spot for.
One of these clubs would be rather surprising to most Forest fans as they aren't exactly loved around Trentside (and no I don't mean D***y, Leicester or Liverpool). I'm referring of course to Sheffield United!
Now don't get me wrong, I hate their manager Colin as much as the next man and some of their fans leave a lot to be desired (I can recall many a trip to Bramall Lane and being constantly spat on and showered with coins).
My reason for liking The Blades goes back to the 92/93 season. The season we first got relegated from the prem and God decided to call it a day and retire to his roses in Derbyshire.
Our last home game of the season was against United, a game we had to win to stand any hope of staying up. It also coincided with the week that news leaked out that Cloughie was to call it a day at the end of the season. Naturally the City Ground was packed for this one, so we could all say our farewells to a Nottingham legend, nay a Football Legend. I had a season ticket stood on the Trent End that year (it was still a terrace then) and on my walk over Trent Bridge could have sold it to countless people for a lot more than it's value such was the demand to be at the ground for this game. No way was I giving it up though, not for any money. I owed it To Mr Clough to be there to say goodbye after all he'd done for us. See that famous Green sweatshirt step out onto the hallowed turf for one last time.
The ground was heaving that day and the atmosphere was absolutely amazing. Brian Clough walking out to an amazing recption from all sides of the ground (United included). At half time the song from our European cup days ('We've got the whole world in our hands') came over the PA. To which the whole Trent End sang along with flags being waved, scarves held aloft, people climbing on top of the crush barriers to stand out from the crowd. Truly amazing scenes considering we were just about to get relegated. As it turns out we lost the game 2-0 and went down but the thing that stands out for me from that game is during the second half the United end started singing 'Cloughie for England' (and no I don't think they were taking the piss) and soon all four sides of the ground (yep even the Exec) were on their feet singing along and saluting the great man.
That is why I have a soft spot for the Blades. They didn't have to do that, that day. They could quite easily have spent the day laughing at us and enjoying our impending demise but they didn't they instead chose to honour one of the greatest managers this game has ever seen. And for that I thank them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charby said...

I went to the trent bridge last time charlton played there. I think it was for a cup game?

All I remember was I fell in the river in front of a lot of forest supporters and i was cold and wet and muddy for the entire game, which we either lost or drew. Damn my memory's good when ive been drinking.

23:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She - field - U - ni - ted???

My or my! Your footballing sins will find you out!

Repent now and your season will be saved! :-)

15:02  
Blogger YorkshireTricky said...

'You fill up my senses,
Like a gallon of Magnet,
Like a packet of woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Sheffield,
Like a greasy chip butty...'

Oh my god I even know the words to their songs now, whatever next!!!!!
(Although I must add, this is another reason why I have a soft spot for United, that song surely is the greatest football chant ever) I'm off for a lie down before this gets any worse

22:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home